The Department of Finance is mandated and shouldered with the following responsibilities among other:
- Serves as the Chief Financial Adviser to the Local Government.
- Ensures that accounting systems as laid down in the Revised Financial Memoranda for Local Government are complied with by all the Departments and supervising the accounts for all Departments of Local Government. Preparing and publishing monthly and annual financial statements of a Local Government.
- A signatory to all Local Government cheques and other contractual documents.
- Custodian of security documents of the Local Government.
- Performing such other related functions as laid down in the Financial Memoranda.
- Performing such other related duties as may be assigned.